Gitty Up's Best Posts

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Country singer gets tuned in to rodeo

Country singer gets tuned in to rodeo
Fresh off her latest visit in Nashville, 19-year-old Langley singer Emily Taylor Adams will be performing at this weekend's Cloverdale Rodeo.
By Troy Landreville

Rodeo and country music are as compatible as flapjacks and maple syrup. So intertwined are they, superstar Garth Brooks recorded two hit songs, Rodeo and Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old) about ropes and reins and bulls and blood.

So it was a bit surprising to find out country crooner Emily Taylor Adams is not a rodeo aficionado.

"I went last year, the first time I actually went and watched the rodeo," the 19-year-old Langley resident said. "It's really cool."

Taylor Adams knows a little bit about singing at the Cloverdale Rodeo, though, having performed there the past five years and counting. The annual rodeo, a Cloverdale institution, will be celebrating years of tradition this May long weekend as it marks its 65th anniversary from May 20-23.

This Sunday, Taylor Adams will perform a pair of 45-minute sets on the Outdoor Entertainment Stage at the rodeo fairgrounds. She'll be on stage 1:15-2 p.m. and 3:45-4:30 p.m.

She can't wait for Sunday to arrive, saying stage fright is one gremlin she doesn't have to fret over once she takes the mic.

"I don't get nervous, nope," she said. "The only time I ever get nervous is in front of people I know. I'd way rather sing in front of 100,000 people I don't know and I'll never see again, than five people I know."

Awarded the 2010 BCCMA Female Vocalist of the Year, Taylor Adams is home after her most recent stint in Nashville, where she worked on songs for her next album while living and collaborating with singer-songwriter Jamie O'Neil.

"I met her in January when I went down [to Nashville] with a couple eponymous debut, released in February, 2009, is available on iTunes and on her website, www.emilytayloradams.com.

If her career really begins to take wing, Adams hopes to get a place in Nashville. She'll be back in Music City, USA, in June.

"It's amazing," she said, about Nashville. "I love it. Once you get there, all of the sudden you get this huge rush."

of friends," Taylor Adams said. "She's a songwriter as well. One of my friends is friends with her and he hooked us up and we met. It's been awesome. I sang for her and played my guitar for her, and she decided she wants to mentor me."

Her latest trip marked her sixth visit to Nashville, where Taylor Adams spent three weeks writing songs for record number two.

"It was great," Taylor Adams said. "I've got some awesome songs. I can't wait to record them, hopefully."

Making music is something Taylor Adams seemed destined to do, from the time she was old enough to "walk, speak, and hum," she noted.

Calling Rascal Flats and the Dixie Chicks major influences, Taylor Adams said she enjoys the storytelling aspect of their music, something she tries to emulate.

"I love telling stories in my songs," she said.

On Sunday, she'll debut a couple of the songs she wrote in Nashville. Taylor Adams describes Rush as a love song and a Jealousy as a "haunting, dark song."

Writing lyrics is not easy, she said: "You have to make sure it makes sense and people like and can relate. I just started to become a songwriter so I'm still getting used to it and learning a bunch of new stuff."

Expect to hear two cover tunes during Taylor Adams' performances Sunday. She puts a personal spin on Kansas's Dust in the Wind and Joan Jett's I Love Rock and Roll.

"We made them country," she said. "We made them both, me. They are

definitely a couple of my favorites."

Taylor Adams'

tlandreville@langleyadvance.com

No comments:

Post a Comment